Joy of Resistance is now heard on Sundays at 6-7 PM on WBAI Radio, 99.5 FM (EST), and streams at wbai.org . Follow us on twitter at @joyofresistance Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Donate to WBAI at give2wbai.org
Within his first 100 days in office, Donald Trump has said that he intends to:
1) Appoint a Supreme Court Justice who will vote to overturn Roe v Wade (the federal law that made abortion legal in 1973) in a new rightwing-majority Court. He has said he would leave the legal status of abortion up to individual states.
2) Move to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA/Obamacare), which will leave 20 million people without health insurance and particularly affect women of childbearing age who rely on the ACA for no-copay (free) birth control, saving women about 1.4 billion dollars per year. Some women are advising others to get an IUD quickly and also to stock up on birth control pills and abortifacient pills!
3) Back the Republican Congress in making the Hyde Amendment (which forbids Medicaid to cover abortion) into permanent law (it is currently a “rider” that must be renewed each year).
Our guests in the discussion will be:
1) Merle Hoffman, founder and CEO of Choices Women’s Medical Center on what it was like before 1973 when abortion legality was up to individual states. Merle, who opened her first abortion clinic in in New York State in 1971, when abortion was illegal in most of the country but legal in NYS, will talk about what that era was really like–and how she sees the future for reproductive rights.
Two days ago she tweeted: “With Obama’s election, there was a run on guns. With Trump, there is a run on IUDs. The difference is sobering.”
3) Christine Grimaldi, who writes for Rewire, on her recent article: Democrats Ready Congressional Resistance to Looming Anti-Choice Attacks
We will also be playing topical feminist music throughout the show.
PREMIUMS OFFERED LAST WEEK ARE STILL AVAILABLE (scroll down to last week’s show announcement to see images of them & for a complete description)
WBAI Radio is more meaningful than ever! Please consider making a pledge for any of the following “Thank you gift”Premiums below and help keep this 54 year old iconic alternative progressive community radio alive and broadcasting.
Title of Premium: Equal Means Equal–Film Digital Download for a pledge of $50.00
Link to Order: http://tinyurl.com/h2kbjac
This is a digital download with access to watch it for 28 days. It is a new feminist film not yet released: every fact you need to know about the status of women in U.S!
Title of Premium: JOR 2-CD’s for a pledge of $25.00
Link to order: http://tinyurl.com/h5j9wav
Two vintage Joy of Resistance original productions:
1) Feminist Music Extravaganza/ 50 years of feminist music classics with narrative feminist history
2) The Civil Rights Movement and the Roots of Women’s Liberation, 8 interviews with women of SNCC on feminist stirrings in SNCC
Title of Premium: Victoria Woodhull–pair of tickets for a pledge of $25.00
Link to order: http://tinyurl.com/ja8bdzc
10 pairs of tickets are available to the play “Victoria Woodhull” at Theater for the New City–about the 1st woman to run for U.S.presidency. Performed from Nov. 17 to Dec 4.
Title of Premium: JOR Election Package for a pledge of $100.00
Link to order: http://tinyurl.com/jyfekca
1) Digital download of film: Equal Means Equal
2) Book: Who is Hillary Clinton?
3) 2 JOR CD’s
4) Pair of tickets to play: “Victoria Woodhull”